Menu

Christ Lutheran Church

We extend a welcome invitation to join us in the worship of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

HISTORY OF CHRIST LUTHERAN CHURCH

Early in 1953, plans were made with the late Rev. Paul A. Plawin, Pastor of Trinity Lutheran Church in Norfolk, for the establishment of a new Missouri Synod Lutheran Church on Military Highway. By July of that year, Vicar Martin C. Travis, representing the Southeastern District of the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod, began mission work on the east side of Norfolk, leading to the purchase of the present property of the Church. The first worship services was held in October 1953, with about 45 people present in a seven room house, which was located on the five acre property. Sunday School was also begun at the time. Photographs taken of the property in that year reflect a very rural area with open fields, as opposed to the present 111 surrounding of residential construction and commercial establishments on Military Highway.

On December 6, 1953, the congregation was officially organized and the name Christ Lutheran Church was adopted. The late Rev. Edward C. Muhly was ordained and installed as Pastor of the church on July 18, 1954. Services were continued in the old seven room house until March 1955 when dedication services were held for the pre-fab A-frame church structure which cost $8,619. It is still in use by the Colonial Day School since 1980.

A Church Kindergarten was started in 1955, which expanded to include pre-school. It closed in 1977 after kindergarten classes began to be offered in public schools.

In July 1961, the late Rev. Carl E. Scaer was installed as Pastor, following the acceptance of a Call by Pastor Muhly to the Institutional Chaplaincy. The beautiful church in which we now worship was dedicated in November 1963. In October 1974, Pastor Scaer accepted a Call to Mt. Olive Lutheran in Newton, NC. and Dr. Martin C. Poch assumed duties as Interim Pastor until Rev. Gordon O. Gabram was installed as Pastor on September 7, 1975

In September 1980, Pastor Gabram retired from the pastorate, and Rev. Lee Heine, Pastor of Unity Lutheran in Norfolk served as Vacancy Pastor, with Rev. Alvin Koeneman, a U.S. Navy Chaplain filling the Pulpit on Sundays.

Rev. J. Elmer Medley was installed as Pastor on August 7, 1981. Two parcels of property were sold in 1985. In 1986, an addition, including the large Fellowship Hall, Kitchen, Church Offices a Library/Meeting Room, Sacristy and Courtyard, was added by the congregation.

Pastor Medley retired January 24, 1999 and Rev. Gary Brooks, while serving as a U.S. Air Force Chaplain at Langley, served as our Interim Pastor for the following year.

Rev. Lawrence Zimmermann was installed as our new pastor on February 27, 2000. Pastor Z retired in May 2011. Chaplain Dan Berteau served as our Interim Pastor.

Through the interim process, we decided to call a pastor from the seminary. Rev. Wesley Gehrke was installed as our new pastor on July 15, 2012. Pastor Gehrke served as our pastor until 26 February, 2017. He accepted a call to Zion Lutheran church in Palmyra, Missouri. 

We continue to strive to be God's messengers to the community and the world. Striving to live as followers of Jesus Christ and loving our neighbors as ourselves.